musical memories
Songs hold so many memories for me. I can usually remember when a past event happened by thinking about the music I was listening to at the time. There are certain songs that are like little four-minute musical memories. They come on the radio and take me back to different points in my life.
Crossroads by Bone Thugs-n-harmony – reminds me of my first serious crush, my first sorta-kiss.
Freak on a Leash by KoRn – reminds me of spring break my junior year of high school, when I first fell in love with a band, when I knew I wasn’t alone.
Lean on me by damn near everyone – reminds me of riding around in the back of a truck with Jade, a very close friend, my sophomore year. It was like two in the morning and we had gone swimming in the river. After the cops asked us to leave we jumped in the back of a friends truck and rode home soaking wet and singing lean on me at the top of our lungs. Completely sober mind you.
Kokomo by The Beach Boys – reminds me of my mom. Every time we went anywhere together we would listen to this song.
Keep Away by Godsmack – reminds me of my first Christmas with The Bear. (Don’t ask)
Last Resort by Papa Roach – this song came out around the same time The Bear and I moved from San Angelo to San Antonio.
The Distance by Cake – reminds me of Tara, my friend (the best friend a girl could ever ask for) the first time I smoked pot we were in her attic-bedroom listening to this song.
Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice – 5th grade, there was a guy in my class who always brought his boom box to school and would dance to that song every day during lunch break.
Cover Girl by New Kids on the Block – Cassie, the girl who lived across the street and I used to play dress up and pretend we were married to certain members of New Kids on the Block. We also used to play hide and seek in the funeral parlor that made up the first story of her house. Ever tried to hide in a casket?
I’m sure I have more of them but I am drawing a blank at the moment. Anyway, it’s your turn. Can you think of a song that brings back memories for you?
Crossroads by Bone Thugs-n-harmony – reminds me of my first serious crush, my first sorta-kiss.
Freak on a Leash by KoRn – reminds me of spring break my junior year of high school, when I first fell in love with a band, when I knew I wasn’t alone.
Lean on me by damn near everyone – reminds me of riding around in the back of a truck with Jade, a very close friend, my sophomore year. It was like two in the morning and we had gone swimming in the river. After the cops asked us to leave we jumped in the back of a friends truck and rode home soaking wet and singing lean on me at the top of our lungs. Completely sober mind you.
Kokomo by The Beach Boys – reminds me of my mom. Every time we went anywhere together we would listen to this song.
Keep Away by Godsmack – reminds me of my first Christmas with The Bear. (Don’t ask)
Last Resort by Papa Roach – this song came out around the same time The Bear and I moved from San Angelo to San Antonio.
The Distance by Cake – reminds me of Tara, my friend (the best friend a girl could ever ask for) the first time I smoked pot we were in her attic-bedroom listening to this song.
Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice – 5th grade, there was a guy in my class who always brought his boom box to school and would dance to that song every day during lunch break.
Cover Girl by New Kids on the Block – Cassie, the girl who lived across the street and I used to play dress up and pretend we were married to certain members of New Kids on the Block. We also used to play hide and seek in the funeral parlor that made up the first story of her house. Ever tried to hide in a casket?
I’m sure I have more of them but I am drawing a blank at the moment. Anyway, it’s your turn. Can you think of a song that brings back memories for you?
---------------------------------------------






1 Comments:
i can't think of any right now... hmmmm
Post a Comment
<< Home